Product pages are considered one of the most important parts of an eCommerce website. These pages serve as your 24/7 salesperson, so they should contain detailed information about your offers. Each page should contain product features, sale information, customer reviews, social proof and shipping and delivery details.
According to statistics, eight per cent of the traffic generated from product pages gets converted into sales. Each product page can affect your customer’s decision in completing a transaction.
Also, compared to homepages, product pages also get more traffic, because web users typically search for solutions instead of specific brands.
By improving your product page, you can significantly increase your conversion rates, as well as your sales. Find out how you can create a high-converting product page as you read on.
What does a high-converting product page look like?
Setting up a website for your online shop doesn’t end after you choose the best eCommerce platform.
After the successful launch of your site, your next priority is to ensure that your prospects have a full grasp of what you offer.
This is where creating a high-converting product page comes in. It should act as your all-round sales representative. More importantly, it should help you stand out from the 12 to 24 million eCommerce websites across the globe.
Use quality images and videos
One of the most important things you need to have on your product page is visual content. High quality images and videos can effectively capture the attention of your target customer.
When a customer shops for a product, the first thing the check out is the image. Hence, if you want to improve a product page, you should add good quality visuals.
Here are a few tips to remember when choosing images:
- Provide large, clear, and accurate images.
- Maximise white space.
- Minimise noise by shooting in a well-lit environment.
- Include a zoom feature for close inspection.
- Include shots taken from various angles.
- Consider adding a 360° view of the product.
- Include a scale to help customers determine the real size of the product.
- Don’t forget to compress the images so your loading time remains fast.
- Add ALT tags to every image you upload.
Aside from photos of the product itself, you may also want to add videos. Neil Patel says that visitors will most likely purchase a product if they watch a video about it on your website or on any other platform.
When adding video content to the page, remember the following tips:
- The video should be of someone wearing or using your product.
- Demonstrate the benefits of the product.
- Show how it’s made or where it came from.
- Provide video testimonials of happy customers.
- Embed the video instead of uploading it on the website itself to cut down page loading times.
Once you have the visual content ready, you should start working on the description.
Write detailed product information
Writing an accurate and convincing product description is one of the key digital marketing tactics you should master as an eCommerce site owner. The more detailed descriptions you provide, the better for your on-page optimisation efforts.
Also, by providing effective content in the description section, you get to convince more customers to try your products.
The product description should contain exact specifications of the item, sale information, product FAQs, and shipping information.
Also, here are some additional reminders for writing descriptions:
- Never tell lies! – According to OneSpace, 98 percent of online shoppers choose not to complete a purchase because the product description provided on the site is either incomplete or inaccurate.
- Highlight value – Tell customers what value they can get from the product.
- Add a personal touch – Feel free to include personal suggestions or comments on how to use the product. For example, if you sell clothes, tell shoppers how to style the item.
- Clean layout – Add drop-down menus to avoid a cluttered product page.
- Make it easy to read – Write important details in a bullet form instead of long paragraphs.
- Do your homework – Check out your competitors and review comments on products similar to what you offer.
If the customer has loved what they’ve read in the product description, they will most likely take action. Encourage them to complete the purchase, sign up for a subscription or get product updates by including the right call-to-action.
Use the right CTA buttons
Any expert website designer and developer would tell you that your website needs to have CTAs. It’s what drives action when it’s needed the most. It also simplifies the buyer’s journey, because your customers only need to click one button to complete the transaction.
When you write a call to action, make sure that it packs a punch. Also, see to it that you position your CTA buttons in easy-to-spot areas. For instance, you can place a button right after the product description. Lastly, don’t forget to check which colour to use for you CTA buttons by running an A/B test.
Besides encouraging customers to take action, you should also pay attention to their wants and needs. An excellent way to do that is through reading their reviews and feedback.
Provide helpful customer reviews and social proof
Most consumers prefer to check out what others think about a product or service before they type in their credit card details and complete their purchase. So, after they read through the description, they scroll down to the reviews section.
Reading through customer reviews helps your consumers assess the credibility and legitimacy of your business.
They also check out how well you respond to the negative comments you receive. Reviews from verified users also provide your prospects an idea of what to expect when they receive the product and if your description and photos truly match the item.
Customer reviews also give you an idea of what to improve, so you can provide better products and services to your valued clients.
If you’re wondering how to improve a product page aside from adding CTAs, images, descriptions and videos, you should try including a customer feedback section on the page.
Make sure to respond to the comments regardless if they’re positive or negative. In case you receive negative feedback from a customer, consider doing the following:
- Respond as soon as you can and show your genuine concern to resolve the issue.
- Try to settle the problem outside your website.
- Always be mindful of how you respond to the customer.
- Take note of the complaint and make the necessary adjustments.
- Monitor and manage your virtual presence and online branding.
Also, try to encourage your customers to leave feedback on the product page. You can give incentives to customers who generously share their insights about your products.
In addition to customer reviews, you should also try to adding other forms of social proof to your product pages. A few examples of social proof you can use on the page are:
- Case studies
- Trust symbols
- Customer testimonials
- Social media shares
- Influencer or celebrity endorsements
Accurate and precise sizing tables
Another crucial component of a high-converting product page is an accurate sizing table. This component is especially important if you’re selling clothing.
As much as possible, you should provide clear and easy to understand visual aids. The chart or sizing table should illustrate the size of the products correctly.
Lastly, you should give your customer an option to open the sizing chart in another tab so they can still look at the product while checking available sizes.
Simplify customer buying experience
The last thing you want is your customers leaving a product page because it took them too long to finish their transaction. This is why you need to ensure that the buyer’s journey is quick, hassle-free and super simple.
Below are the most effective ways to improve the customer’s buying experience:
- Create a quick checkout option.
- Show the total number of products placed in the cart.
- Provide customisation options to buyers if you sell personalised items.
- Activate breadcrumbs for shopping transactions.
- Get rid of unnecessary banner ads or external links.
Provide more options for international customers
If you aim to sell your products on an international market, there are a few other things you need to add to your product pages:
- A shipping fee calculator/table – This add-on is crucial because customers would like to know how much they need to pay in addition to the cost of the product.
- A currency converter – Payment processing channels can readily convert any currency into your preferred currency. However, having a currency converter on the page will help improve the experience of your international customers.
- ETA details – Be sure to include how long it would take for you to process the transaction and send the product to your selected customer. If you’re using a third-party courier to handle the deliveries, you should add a link to their delivery FAQs page.
Each product page on your eCommerce site should be optimised if you want to amplify your conversion potential. If you think your site doesn’t have a high-converting product page yet, you should find time to start creating one for every item that you sell.
Take note that having quality product pages doesn’t only boost your on-page optimisation efforts. It’s also your key to improving your site’s ability to bring in more paying and long-term customers.
Want to make sure that your product pages are optimised the right way? Find out how our team of digital marketing experts can help you! Contact us today!